How to get rid of a ferret in a chicken coop: effective methods and prevention of occurrence
Dangerous to the productivity and livelihoods of chickens are not only parasites, but also predators. One of the most common and harmful predators is the ferret. In the article, we will consider how to recognize the signs of the appearance of the animal in the chicken coop and methods of dealing with it.
The ferret belongs to the genus of mammals of the family marten. In Latin, its name sounds like furonem, which means "thief."
There are several types of this predator:
The color of ferrets can be different, usually their fur is brown-black, tail, head and paws are darker. Light covers of fur are observed on the sides and on the stomach of the predator. There are times when the color of the animal is red or white. It is common for a predator to have a slender, elongated body, whose length is 30–50 cm. Paws with sharp claws, with the help of which animals dig deep holes, defend themselves and attack. The ferret weighs 1.5–2 kg. Life expectancy is 6-12 years.
The nature of these animals is aggressive, they enter into a fight with rivals in size even larger than themselves. In the daytime, the predator sleeps and hunts at night. And only experiencing severe hunger, he can start the hunt in the afternoon. For its prey, the predator comes at night: he quietly sneaks up to the victim, aggressively attacks it, and then strangles it with the help of its paws.
Did you know? The ferret's favorite food is chickens, but at the same time, he will not refuse to eat other domestic animals.
Signs of the appearance of a ferret in the chicken coop
The ferret is a nocturnal beast that is difficult to notice in the dark. However, there are signs by which it is easy to determine that the ferret and hens have already met:
- a trench along the perimeter of the chicken coop;
- broken eggs or their absence;
- strangled chickens;
- the presence of a dead chicken with a cracked neck;
- the disappearance of birds from the house;
- a frightened bird that does not descend from the perch even at the sight of the host.
A ferret strangled by a chicken Finding that a ferret had visited the chicken coop, but at the same time he crushed only the eggs and did not touch the birds, one should not think that he would not return. Having marked the territory, the predator will consider it his property and come at night to profit.
How to get rid of a ferret in a chicken coop
It is difficult to discourage a ferret from being able to constantly get food. The predator will perceive any measures you have taken to combat him as obstacles, and easily overcome them.
Important! In the physiology of the ferret, the most important organs are the organs of hearing and smell. They compensate for his poor eyesight.
- remove garbage from the yard (boards, boxes);
- repair the chicken coop;
- get a dog;
- firmly close all the loopholes in the house for the night.
But what if prophylactic measures are ineffective? In this case, there is only one way out - it is necessary to fight the beast in order to protect its livestock. Below we will tell you how to get a ferret out of the chicken coop.
How to catch
Since the animal hunts only at night, it will not be easy to catch it, but it is possible.
There are several ways to capture a predator:
- use a dog;
- set a trap;
- catch by hand;
- to build a live trap.
Using a trap
In order to catch a ferret in a trap, you need to place a bait in it: it can be feathers or a chicken previously strangled by an animal. An effective way is not to place the carcass in a trap, but hanging it above a trap, which will allow to disperse the predator. Thus, it will quickly fall into the trap. Here it should be said that the trap should not have a human smell. Smelling it, the predator will not climb into the trap. There are several methods to eliminate odor:
- grease the trap with lime;
- grate with a solution of boiled spruce;
- process with manure.
Important! Particular attention should be paid to setting traps if you have pets, as they may also be interested in bait and fall into the trap.
Using live traps
You can catch a predator with the help of a live trap. To build it yourself, you will need such materials and tools:
- metal grid;
- welding machine;
- metal fittings;
- board for bait.
- Using a welding machine, weld the frame for the trap from metal reinforcement.
- Set the door and the mechanism that will trigger when the predator stands on the board where the bait is. This will close the entrance, and the animal will remain inside.
- Sheathe the frame with metal mesh on all sides.
- The trap is ready, install it in the chicken coop.
Video: Ferret Trap
How to scare
If you do not want to use radical methods in the fight with a ferret, then you can resort to ways to scare away the animal. Let's consider them in more detail.
Modern technical means
There are modern means to deter various predators. They can be purchased at specialized stores.
There are two types of repellers:
- Light and sound. When a predator approaches the chicken coop, the repeller gives a sound signal and starts flashing red, which scares off the animal. This device is powered by batteries or an electrical outlet.
- Ultrasonic They produce ultrasonic waves that scare away not only ferrets, but also mice, rats, and moles. Do not harm pets and humans. Work with battery or mains.
Pets can also scare away a predator from hunting chickens. If you have a dog, move its booth closer to the chicken coop. An ideal option would be to put a booth near the very doors of the house. Of course, not every dog is able to catch a clever animal, but it will be able to notify you of an uninvited night visitor with the help of a bark.
You can also use a domestic cat, which should be locked at night in the chicken coop, but do not forget that the ferret is a cunning and aggressive beast, so the cat can suffer from its paws. In addition, there is no guarantee that your pet will not want to eat homemade crusts, being with them in the immediate vicinity.
One of the popular folk ways to ward off a ferret from a chicken coop is to paint the walls of the house outside with tar. However, this will not help if the house is not on the foundation, as the animal can dig a passage under the floor. You can also hang goatskin on the walls of the chicken coop, its smell will scare away the predator.Or you can set a simple trap: put a bucket on a support, put a bait under it, and as soon as the ferret wants to eat it, he will certainly touch the support and a bucket will cover it.
Preventive measures against the appearance of
It is always easier to prevent the appearance of a predator in the chicken coop than to fight it. To do this, you need to know and apply some preventive measures:
- clean the yard from garbage, branches, boards and boxes, as a predator can hide or live in them;
- strengthen the walls, ceiling and roof of the chicken coop so that the dexterous animal does not get inside;
- drive all the chickens into the house for the night and close all the doors and loopholes tightly: when the ferret does not get prey for a long time, he will leave the idea of hunting your chickens and go in search of new places.
Did you know? Ferrets are born very small. Newborn babies can even fit in a teaspoon.
Knowing how to deal with ferrets and prevent them from appearing, you can prevent the animal from appearing in your yard and protect your birds from its raids.