Bycox for rabbits
Bycox is a fast-acting drug for the treatment and prevention of coccidiosis in rabbits and poultry. In this article we will consider how to use this medicine, in what cases, what should be the dosage for adult rabbits and rabbits.
What is this drug
The drug "Baykoks" is desirable to have in the first-aid kit for every farmer involved in rabbit breeding to combat coccidiosis in furry pets. The tool is very effective, without side effects and allows you to cure rabbits from coccidiosis or to prevent this disease.
The medicine works well with coccidia at any stage of development, destroying their shell.
Did you know? The average size of a rabbit brood is from 4 to 12 rabbits; childbirth occurs after a short 30-day pregnancy. Males can breed at the age of 7 months, and females after 4 months. This means that in one year, rabbits can have up to 800 children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
This medicine can be combined without problems with vitamin complexes or with other medicines. It has no contraindications for mixing with nutritious feed. This property allows the rabbit breeder not to cause additional stress to sick rabbits, changing their nutrition, and giving animals the vitamins they need so much.
With the help of Bycox, rabbits are treated for many infectious diseases. The medicine belongs to the drugs that destroy coccidia by acting on their outer shell. The destruction of the shells of coccidia occurs immediately after taking the drug.
Stages of the disease on which the drug is effective:
- before the onset of symptoms;
- after the onset of symptoms;
- at the advanced stage.
Did you know? Long and wary rabbit ears serve as a kind of antenna. They can pick up sounds from all sides, as well as hear sounds coming from two different directions.
The drug consists of such substances:
- toltrazuril - 50 mg;
- docusate sodium - 2.5 mg;
- propylene glycol - 105 mg;
- Simethicone emulsion - 0.5 mg;
- sodium benzoate - 2.1 mg;
- sodium propionate - 2.1 mg;
- bentonite - 3.5 mg;
- xanthan gum - 3 mg;
- citric acid - 6 mg;
- distilled water - approximately 1 ml.
The manufacturer produces two varieties of the drug:
- "Baykoks 2.5";
- Bycox 5.0.
The medicine is available in the form of a suspension, is prescribed for use through the esophagus (oral). Externally, the drug looks like a clear liquid that does not have color and odor. On sale are also found packings of this drug in 10 ml (disposable).
The bottle with “Baykoks” is packed in a cardboard box, which contains the instructions for the medicine.
Bycox is quite expensive, but the high price is justified by the effectiveness and rapid action of the drug. You can buy it in veterinary pharmacies or online stores of the veterinary direction. You do not need a prescription from a veterinarian to purchase.
Did you know? The rabbit’s teeth never stop growing, so the animals constantly need to chew something hard so that the incisors get natural wear.
The cost of Baykoks:
- concentration 2.5 - the price ranges from 2500 to 3500 rubles per 1 liter;
- Concentration 5.0 - approximately 2000 rubles per bottle with a capacity of 0.250 liters.
Indications for use
The purpose of the drug is the treatment of coccidiosis, the causative agent of which are different types of coccidia and eimeria.
This disease is fatal, and it is impossible to hesitate with the treatment of animals.In the process of the disease, the intestines and gastrointestinal tract are affected, in which bacteria multiply, which subsequently parasitize in the liver and gall bladder of the sick rabbit.
Symptoms of coccidiosis:
- lethargy, apathy, weakness, lack of desire in the animal to move;
- loss of interest in feeding, weight loss;
- the rabbit lags behind in growth and practically does not develop;
- the surface of the mucous membranes becomes slightly yellow;
- rabbit fur coat loses its luster, its surface becomes disheveled.
From the moment of infection of the rabbits to the appearance of the first symptoms, approximately 2-3 days pass.
Important! Medicine «Baykoks» with prolonged storage it settles to the bottom of the bottle, so it is very important to shake the contents of the bottle well before use.
Instructions for use
For the treatment of adult animals, you can use "Baykoks" with a concentration of 2.5%, and a medicine with 5.0% of the active substance.Treatment of rabbits for coccidiosis is carried out for two days, drinking a long-eared drug. If the case is neglected and the disease is difficult, the rabbit breeders take a break between treatment for 5 days, after which they repeat the course of treatment with Baykoks for 2 days.
Adult rabbits are treated with both varieties of this drug:
- "Baykoks 2.5" - the concentration of the drug is not too high, sick animals are fed it, mixed with drinking water. Dilute the medicine from the calculation: 1 ml of “Baykoks 2.5” per 1000 ml of liquid.
- “Baykoks 5.0” - this kind of preparation is not diluted with anything, but fed to rabbits in the form in which the preparation is in the bottle. In this case, the dose size is calculated based on the body weight of the rabbit (0.2 ml per 1 kg of live weight).
Important! If the disease of coccidiosis has reached a critical stage, the rabbit breeder often has difficulties how to drink a sick rabbit. This can be done with a disposable syringe, from which the needle is removed (a small medical rubber bulb or pipette). The medicine is collected in one of these devices and poured into the mouth of a sick animal (closer to the beginning of the esophagus). This method is only suitable for Baykoks with a 2.5% concentration, since a drug with a higher concentration cannot be diluted in a liquid.
Bycox solution can be given to small rabbits after reaching 21 days after birth. Usually by this age, babies gain more than 500 g. For rabbits, the use of "Baykoks 2.5" is recommended:
- The drug is diluted in clean drinking water. According to the instructions, each baby must be weighed, and then make the calculation of the required dosage (for each kilogram of body weight of the rabbit, 7 mg of the drug is taken). Absolutely accurately calculate the weight is not always possible, so veterinarians recommend diluting 1 ml of the drug in 10 liters of water.
- The diluted rabbit solution is watered during daylight hours. The next day a fresh solution is prepared, this requirement is due to the fact that its medicinal effect is slightly lost over the past 24 hours, because the active substance sticks to the walls of the water tank.
- How long the course of treatment will be depends on how the animals feel. The drug solution is given until the external symptoms of the disease disappear, and another additional day is required to consolidate the result. The usual course of treatment lasts from 2 to 3 days.
- If you want to treat very young rabbits that feed on mother’s milk, the drug is bred and evaporated to the baby from a large disposable syringe, with a pipette instead of a needle.
Use for prevention
In order to prevent coccidiosis on a rabbit farm, a two-time preventive intake of this drug is carried out for a year, with a break of six months between procedures.
To prevent, about 1 ml of the drug is dissolved in 1 liter of drinking water and the resulting solution is poured into the drinker of each rabbit cage. The drug solution is poured into drinkers in the morning for two days.It is not recommended to use the drug for rabbits who are waiting for offspring or while they are feeding young animals (lactation).
Contraindications and side effects
During clinical trials and during the period of practical use of the drug on rabbit farms, no side effects were found on the animal organism.
Did you know? In the wild, a rabbit usually lives for about 8 years, although sterilized domestic rabbits can live up to 10-12 years.
An overdose of “Baykoks” does not lead to negative effects on the health of animals, it is tested by scientists in laboratory studies and rabbit breeders in practice.
Manufacturers recommend storing the medicine in a tightly closed bottle, out of the reach of sunlight. The storage location should be dry, the temperature in the storage should be in the range from 0 to +25 ° С.
In an unopened state, the drug is valid for 5 years from the date of release by the manufacturer, after the bottle has been printed out - the medicine remains effective for 3 months.
The drug has several analogues:
- Koktsiprodin - This is a medicine with properties similar to Baykoks, but it is several times more in demand among rabbit breeders due to its cheapness. Its price is three times cheaper than the cost of Baykoks, and the effect on coccidia is almost the same. Dosage and administration are similar to those described above.
- Ditrim - well suited for the treatment of coccidiosis in rabbits, the drug contains sulfadimezin and trimethoprim. When treating with Ditrim, rabbits should not be given drinking water, only a solution of water with medicine. To make a solution, 1 ml of Ditrim is taken per 1 liter of water, treatment is used for 5 days. In the advanced stage, the medicine is poured into the animal’s mouth with a syringe without a needle several times a day. Ditrim is not recommended for pregnant rabbits.
- Tonukoks - It has proven itself in the fight against coccidiosis. The medicine is diluted with water: 5 ml of the drug per liter of water, after which the sick rabbits are soldered with this solution for two days, then they take a 2-day break. As soon as the pause in the reception is over, the two-day treatment with Tonukoxa solution is continued again.
Did you know? Rabbits are born blind, naked and do not leave the nest insulated by their mother’s fluff until their eyes open and the body is dressed in soft fur.
Is it possible to eat meat after eating “Bycox” rabbit
Rabbits can be slaughtered for meat no earlier than 77 days after the last day of prophylaxis or treatment with Baykoks. In the instructions attached to the drug, this item draws special attention of users.Rabbits are gentle animals that are susceptible to various infections, often sick. In order for fluffy pets to remain alive and healthy, it is enough for the rabbit breeder to drink them twice a year for the purpose of prophylaxis with the Baykoks drug. This medicine will also help cure already sick animals.