How much garlic can you eat per day without harming your health?
Since ancient times, people have used garlic to promote health and as a spicy supplement to various dishes. Daily use of burning cloves increases the body's defenses and prevents the development of many diseases. But like any product, it is advisable to eat in moderation so as not to harm itself. How much garlic is healthy? What happens if you eat it too much? You will find the answers to these questions in the article.
The benefits and harms of garlic
Fresh garlic contains more than a hundred biologically active substances that give the product strong bactericidal and antiseptic properties.
- In fact, this is a natural antibiotic, which in a reasonable amount has a certain effect on the body:
- increases immunity, thereby reducing the risk of developing colds, viral and infectious diseases;
- cleanses blood vessels and dilutes blood, preventing the formation of blood clots;
- leads to normal blood pressure;
- cures vitamin deficiency and scurvy;
- accelerates blood circulation, supplying the brain with the necessary substances, as a result of which the thought process is activated, and memory improves;
- contributes to the production and elimination of bile;
- fights free radicals and prevents the formation of cancer cells;
- antiseptic properties of the product help in the treatment of diseases of the genitourinary system;
- allicin (an organic compound formed by the mechanical destruction of teeth) has a strong activity against pathogenic bacteria present in the intestine;
- thanks to the same allicin, garlic disinfects the digestive tract, prevents the development of cancer of the digestive tract, increases the secretion of gastric juice, increases appetite, removes toxins and helminths;
- garlic infusions have an antiseptic and expectorant effect, therefore, they are recommended for diseases of the respiratory tract accompanied by cough, as well as for the treatment of rhinitis and gargling with angina;
- in crushed form it is used as a healing and disinfectant for insect bites, suppurations, warts, skin rashes;
- in cosmetology it is used to rejuvenate and regenerate skin cells, cleanse pores, and strengthen hair;
- traditional medicine notes the effectiveness of toothache - cutting a tooth, apply to the arm at the site of pulsation, after which the pain subsides after 15 minutes.
Despite all the beneficial properties, garlic is quite toxic. Essential oils, enzymes and organic sulfides, which are contained in large quantities, make the taste too spicy and pungent, which can be dangerous in some diseases and conditions.
- The danger of garlic with:
- pregnancy and lactation;
- elevated temperature (above + 38 ° C);
- ulcer, gastritis, pancreatitis;
- pathology of the kidneys and genitourinary system (jade, cystitis);
- with epilepsy, a fresh product can lead to overexcitation of the nervous system and even cause an epileptic seizure.
Did you know? In ancient Egypt, garlic was considered a sacred culture. Everyone consumed it, and even slaves were supposed to have several teeth daily to increase their stamina and physical activity.
It is an ideal product for maintaining men's health. It strengthens blood vessels, reduces cholesterol and improves blood circulation, reducing the risk of heart attacks and strokes in adulthood.The regular use of several cloves allows you to keep your heart in good shape and maintain high physical activity.Selenium, present in garlic in high concentration, contributes to the production of testosterone, which favorably affects potency and reproductive function in general. Traditional medicine suggests using the product in the treatment of male infertility and inflammation of the prostate. It is also believed that a fresh vegetable prevents the development of prostate cancer.
For the female body, garlic is no less useful. When excreted in the urine, it disinfects the entire genitourinary system, preventing inflammatory processes in the genitals, which, in turn, has a positive effect on reproductive ability. The presence of the product in the daily diet reduces the risk of developing cancerous tumors in the uterus and breast. For women of middle and old age, it is useful in that it cleanses blood vessels, lowers blood pressure, preventing heart attacks and strokes.
During pregnancy, the benefits of garlic are doubtful. On the one hand, it contains many useful substances and vitamins necessary for a woman’s health and baby’s development, and on the other hand, it can negatively affect the kidneys and liver, which are already experiencing a double load. From its use increases appetite, and thirst increases, which leads to weight gain, edema.
Children need a vegetable for the prevention of colds and normal development. Fresh cloves of garlic contain a huge set of vitamins and minerals necessary for the work of internal organs, nervous system, bone formation.
Important! The children's stomach is immature and very sensitive, therefore it is not recommended to give fresh garlic to children under 3 years old. Until this age, it is offered boiled in the composition of soups and mashed potatoes.
If the child is regularly given garlic, you can not worry that he will catch an intestinal infection or become infected with helminths. Parents who prefer folk remedies to pharmaceutical preparations can use a weak infusion to rinse their throats or rinse their nose. If the child is small, during the period of influenza and SARS epidemics, you can make beads from fresh teeth and hang the baby on the neck.
Is it possible to eat garlic every day
The composition of garlic is unique. It contains a large amount of organic acids, nitrous substances, mineral salts, vitamins, a lot of protein (over 13%), sugars (up to 28%), sulfide compounds (volatile), so doctors and nutritionists recommend using this product daily. Its presence in the diet allows you to get the whole complex of substances necessary for the body every day.Another thing is how much, and what quality the product should be. Always pay attention to the freshness of the teeth and do not buy sprouted, soft or dried garlic. A greened vegetable, even if it remains dense, contains less nutrients, so its use is impractical. It is recommended to store fresh onions in cold and dry conditions, however, the refrigerator is not very suitable for this purpose, as the product rotting process develops faster due to high humidity.
Since excessive consumption of garlic is still harmful to health, the question arises: how much can you eat it 1 time, per day, and what are the restrictions? The norm recommended by the World Health Organization is 2-5 g per day (approximately 1 clove). This amount is enough to strengthen the body, improve blood circulation, reduce pressure and increase overall tone.
Important! Do not forget that garlic is toxic and with an overdose can cause an increased heartbeat, headache, especially in children.
In the season of incidence for the purpose of prevention, this norm can be increased, but the age and state of human health must be taken into account. Adults and children over 10-12 years old can afford 3-4 cloves of garlic per day.The dosage for children older than 3 years is no more than 1 clove 2-3 times a week, and the vegetable should be given as part of dishes, snacks, and not separately.
You can’t eat garlic on an empty stomach, since aggressive components destroy the mucous membranes, and instead of a charge of vigor, you will get unpleasant pain in the stomach and heartburn. Also, do not use the product at night, because it excites the nervous system, and after such a meal you can hardly count on a full sleep. It is best to eat a vegetable with food or 1 hour before it, washed down with vegetable juice.
What happens if you eat a lot of garlic
Immediately clarification that eating a lot of fresh garlic (for example, a glass for 1 time) is almost impossible for a person, and even 1-2 whole heads can lead to sad consequences. The specific substance allicin, which gives the vegetable useful properties and an acute taste, in high concentration is a strong poison. This is the main reason why you can not eat a lot of garlic at once. Like any poison, it can cause poisoning, severe intoxication of the body and a whole series of unpleasant symptoms:
- damage to the walls of the stomach and intestines up to the formation of through holes (ulcers);
- headache, slow reaction, distraction;
- increased gas formation, heartburn, diarrhea;
- burns of the mucous membranes of the mouth and gums;
- cause tachycardia, increase or, conversely, lower the pressure to a critical level;
- cause internal bleeding.
Did you know? Sulfurous substances contained in it in high concentration give a specific pungent odor to garlic. Parsley, cinnamon or any dairy product helps to get rid of this smell after eating the product.
It is not recommended to drink a dose of chopped garlic with water, as this slows down the assimilation process. It is incompatible with certain medications, therefore, during the treatment, the vegetable should be discarded. And the most unpleasant moment is the smell that comes after eating the product. The more garlic eaten, the longer this smell persists.Analyzing the above, one recalls the famous statement of Paracelsus: “Everything is poison, and everything is medicine. Both determine the dose. ” This phrase is fully applicable to garlic, since in a reasonable amount it is, indeed, a miracle cure. It is necessary to exceed the dose - and the medicine will turn into a very strong poison. If there are no contraindications, be sure to use this product, but observe the measure.